Through the ages
Navacerrada obtained its village status in the 17th century, because of Felipe IV. It already was a village since the 12th century, when shepherds from Segovia settled in this land, due to its abundant pasture for their cattle.
It was then when Alfonso VII established in its peaks the boundaries between Madrid and Segovia provinces, starting then a few centuries long conflict between madrileños and segovianos for owning this land.
Alfonso X tried to stop the Segovian population expansion and to precise the limits between both lands. In that time Navacerrada was part of El Real de Manzanares, together with the village of Manzanares and 19 more communities.
All these small towns obtained their emancipation obtaineing the village status, dating this event in Navacerrada in 1636.